Paris has Les Galeries Lafayette, New York has Bloomingdales, but in London we have the shiny and eternal Harrods! Harrods is sparkling from every corner; from high tea to diamonds you will forever be dazzled by that surrealistic department store.
But here’s few fun facts you probably don’t know about Harrods:
• Harrods was first established in London Stepney Green as a tea merchant and grocery store.
• Winnie-the-Pooh was found in Harrods.
• An Egyptian cobra once has been hired to guard a £62,000 pair of of haute couture ruby-sapphire-and diamond-encrusted sandals.
• A silver replica of Harrods is on display on the store’s lower ground floor. This was a gift from Gordon Selfridge when he lost a bet with the Harrods managing director.
• You can buy gold bullion off the shelf.
• Noel Coward, writer and playwright bought an alligator in Harrods Pet Shop one Christmas. A baby elephant was also sold by Harrods as a present to Ronald Reagan.
• Have you heard about the story of Christian the lion? Bought in Harrods in the late sixties and release in Kenya years after? If not, that’s a great story including a happy ending. > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvCjyWp3rEk